You’ve heard those commercials that start out with the deep voice stating, “In a world…”. That’s what I thought of as I write this blog post this morning. So here goes…
In a world of confounding confusion for an indie author, how do you ever choose the right cover artist who will understand and feel the same passion for your book as you do? If you’re an Indie Author I’m sure you’ve asked that question, and many of you have been quite successful discovering that valuable gem of a cover artist. For those still in the weeds, I offer some tips on how to find the right cover artist for your book.
- Make certain they can do covers in your genre. Most can, but there are some who tend to stick to only one genre
- Ask for recommendations – a sure way of finding one that is successful working with authors
- Preview their website for eye catching designs – would you click on that book or pull it off the shelf if you saw that design
- Don’t let price be your main driver – a good designer is worth their weight in silver, a great one, in gold
- Have a few conversations or exchange a few emails before you hire them. Make sure they can understand the vision you have for your book, but don’t try to take over the design process. They are pros and know what they’re doing
- Ask about deadlines. If they aren’t able to meet your deadline you’re wasting time and money.
- Be open to their suggestions. They may surprise you.
- Negotiate price up front and find out how many revisions they are willing to do for the price.
- Ask about your rights to the design. Do they maintain the rights and only give you permission to use the design as they dictate or do they release the rights to you.
- If you have multiple books in a series ask if they are willing to offer package deals
These are but a few tips that may help you choose the right designer for you. What works for one author may not work for all, so find an artist you can feel comfortable working with. Try more than one. You may want to keep your options open.
Best of luck to you on your journey to bring your passion to life.